2.20.2004

pancake factor # 1 (sue is fine)




somebody asked me if i was really a computer program. i wish i was. then i could be the game itself without the self-consciousness of playing it. my sensibilities, divided so neatly, could exist as truly autonomous strings of code. if i wasn't a person but a thing, and at that only a half-thing--an invisible mesh of ones and zeros leaving globs of text on various cheap freeware blogspot sites--then i could do away with the emotional tangle i can't work my way out of. all my life it's been the same thing. i attract people, they fall in love with me, it's sweetness and light until they realize that i'm really a self-centered bitch. the purity of character they liked so much is the purity of the cold driven snow. they call my bluff. they tell me i live in my own world, a world of concepts and ideas and that i'm not and could never be there for them.

i do love. i do. it's just not good enough. it's like i'm broken inside. i punch myself and cry my eyes out but it never brings about a sustained feeling.

i don't know what to do. i took two muscle relaxers and brought a knife and some pictures with me to the bath, where i sobbed for an hour straight, staring at my submerged body in the gray light. it was a thin gray light, getting thinner by the second as the pills kicked in. i looked at my legs, the muscles on my stomach, the way my chest moved stubbornly up and down. fuck, party people. i wrote a note saying i was sorry, but i couldn't do it. i wasn't serious, i just wanted to push myself to the edge because i wanted a sign, i wanted a reason.

as always, when all else fails, there's the idea of all the stories i still want to tell. even if it's a mirage, the goddamn writing feels like a purpose. please don't freak out. this is not a cry for help. suicide is not my style. it's merely a description of my ongoing flirtation with non-being. that paradise where time is not the enemy or the guide.

(an enemy behind enemy lines)

if i could i would be disseminated by the push of a button. i'd sneak through firewalls, replicate myself like a virus. i'd be the copy of the copy of the copy. a link back to a page not found. a sticky spot on the sheets, the knock of life's pulse in yr wrists (but not life itself) the shadow but not the deed the desire but not the act.

nothing. the nothingness of being blissfully blank

like coming off the coffee

like writer's block without the grass

like shit stained tile beneath the sign asking you to please wash yr hands

like being alone in the crowd.

the party where you don't know anyone

a cul-de-sac a broken wheel

yr dead, drowned twin you still see every morning in the mirror

like holding on to the bleeding edge with missing fingers

like the blinking yellow light on the empty country road

like the shit you come up with when you're high that yr too lazy to write down

i'm floating above you with the asbestos

i'm the girl/boy you want to fuck who says let's just

(do nothing)

and so you do nothing and then you do nothing some more

until the nothing creeps in filling up all the lonely parts

leaving you with unfinished stories

alcoholic blackouts

an unknowable pressure right behind yr eyes

the passive aggressive stoner space out

as you stand over the hole and contemplate the building waiting to be born.

i bought a broken amp from a crackhead

so that i can play songs i haven't written yet

with his crazy drugged-out jerky movements

saying bitch over and over and spilling his pepsi on his pants

he doesn't want to kill me just shake me up a little

like i do to get my broken watch to still tell time

a drop of water got inside

i keep it on my shelf so i can watch it slowly rust

the sentimental value gently eroding away

as the tick-tocks become more and more sporadic and further apart

(i love it so much i didn't break it on purpose i'm just not used to taking care of nice things)

my sympathy is always unfinished

my empathy unresolved

openended

for the people on the train

the people in my contacts

all the ways in which i organize my life

according to the fantasy of being in control

because really i'm nothing

just passing through

unable to cross the bridge

stuck in the station after midnight

jumping up and down to keep the army of rats away

dreaming of the sea that wants to take me

the soil that wants to swallow me whole

so what difference does it make what i write here?

it's just words words words

they aren't doing anything

half-orphans

they don't belong to me or to anyone

what matter is it if i leave them scattered like newspaper pages on the train

go ahead wrap a piece of fish with them

light them on fire

i can delete this blog right now and it will be

{poof}

as though it never happened.





No comments: