10.23.2003



sharpeworld index

How does that song go?

"Night suits me fine... Morning suits me fine..."

I think the two of them took off. TRUE came back here and grabbed a sweater and her boots. She looked good--dressed all in black, with her black nylon hood pulled over her black on black Yankees hat. She stood pensively in the center of the room--like a monk or a performance artist.

"I'm taking off for a few," she said, finally.

I nodded and lit a cigarette.

"Are you pissed?" she asked.

"This may or may not be the right decision," I said, like an idiot.

"I haven't made any decisions," she said. "Nothing has been decided."

"Here are your keys," she said, making a big show of hanging the keys back up on their nail.

"Can I call you later?"

She never asks that--she hates the phone.

"Anytime," I said, as unexpected, tears sprung up in my eyes.

I tried to laugh it off.

"How sentimental." Meanwhile, inside, I was thinking, omygod what the fuck they aren't asking me along i can't believe it...

"Maybe it's that time of the month," she said, trying to laugh.

...after everything i did for you, including letting you take over my bedroom for nearly two weeks--it's just up and out without an explanation..?

"Maybe," I said, my voice as flat as a dime.

"Don't get Sterling in trouble," I called out, as she slouched over to the front door and undid the locks.

"It's bad enough that two-thirds of us doesn't have a job, no need to make that a perfect score--wouldn't you agree?"

TRUE smiled and took a baby banana from the fruit bowl.

"I wanted to tell you that I think you know how make everything beautiful," she said, softly. She was looking down that the floor.

"Bye," she whispered, and before I could order my thoughts she pulled the door open, slid out and was gone.

No comments: